- General information
- When is the BIKINGMAN Taiwan #2 (2019)?
- Where does the race start and finish?
- Is it asphalt or gravel?
- How can I sign up?
- How much does registration cost and what’s included?
- Does the organization keep my personal belongings during the race?
- How can I travel to Taiwan?
- How can I get to the base camp?
- Where to sleep before or after the race ?
- I did not receive any confirmation emails after registration!
- Can I follow and learn more about the athletes who are preparing for the race?
- Do I need a visa?
- Can I rent a car in Taiwan?
- Where are the electronic checkpoints and manned checkpoints?
- Where can I see the mandatory route of the race?
- Are there categories?
- Can I cancel my registration?
- Is there a prize to win?
- Rules of the race
- What is the time limit to complete the BikingMan Taiwan #2?
- Is there a minimum distance to ride every day
- Are support cars allowed?
- Is the road mandatory?
- Can I draft (ride behind another cyclist and benefit from the wind protection) of a competitor?
- Can I camp in Taiwan?
- Do I need a medical certificate for the race?
- Do I need insurance?
- How do the checkpoints work?
- Is there a list of mandatory equipment?
- Do I need a GPS tracker?
- Do I need a specific bike?
All the rules and conditions of the BikingMan Taiwan 2019 are listed in the race agreement, read it carefully (download here).
When is the BIKINGMAN Taiwan #2 (2019)?
– November 4th to November 8th, 2019. The check-in of the athletes and their equipment will take place on November 2nd (9am to 6pm) and November 3rd in the morning (8am to 12pm MAX) at Waypoint.
Where does the race start and finish?
– The race will start in Taipei next to the famous tower Taipei 101 and will finish next to our partner Waypoint’s shop in Taipei.
Is it asphalt or gravel?
– The route of the race is 100% paved.
How can I sign up?
– Follow the link: click here .
How much does registration cost and what’s included?
– 499 euros until June 30th 2019 (tier 1), 539 euros until August 31st 2019 (tier 2) and 579 euros (tier 3) until registration closes if slots are available. Read the race page to see what is included in your registration.
Does the organization keep my personal belongings during the race?
– Yes, 1 x bike bag and 1 x personal bag (backpack) for every athlete is allowed. BUT you will NOT have access to your personal belongings while you are racing. Do not ask us to carry your bags between checkpoints …
How can I travel to Taiwan?
– Taipei is by far the largest city of Taiwan and has a large international airport covering many destinations in and outside of Asia. Depending on your location you may find direct flights, but most probably you will have a staged flight going via another asian country, most likely Shanghai or Bangkok.
How can I get to the base camp?
– You can either take a taxi or a Uber, who are available in numbers at the airport or you can choose to take the train or subway that will take you to the center of Taipei.
Where to sleep before or after the race ?
– We have selected for you hotel partners that will offer preferential prices for nights before and after the race.
I did not receive any confirmation emails after registration!
– After finalizing your registration, you should have received an email from Active.com confirming your payment. If you didn’t get it, check your SPAM folder. In case of any doubt, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help you.
Can I follow and learn more about the athletes who are preparing for the race?
– Join the Strava BikingMan club, connect to our Facebook , profile Instagram or our YouTube channel. If you need help preparing for your race, you can get in touch with the BikingMan community on the dedicated Facebook group where veterans will help you.
Do I need a visa?
– For european citizens, with the exception of Bulgarians and Romanians, a visa is not required for stays shorter than 90 days in Taiwan. However your password needs to be valid for another 6 months at the time you arrive on the island.
For non-european citizens, we recommend to check the conditions for an entry in Taiwan for your own country.
Can I rent a car in Taiwan?
– Yes, but an international driving license is mandatory.
Where are the electronic checkpoints and manned checkpoints?
– The exact checkpoint locations will be disclosed at a later date.
Where can I see the mandatory route of the race?
– By joining our Strava club , it’s free and you will be able to download GPX itinerary of the course.
Are there categories?
– Yes: Woman, Man and Pair.
Can I cancel my registration?
– No, it’s not possible to cancel your registration and Taiwan being the last event of the 2019 season, it’s not possible to benefit from a transfer to another race. (See race agreeement).
Is there a prize to win?
– The glory and some gifts from our sponsors for the winners of each category. For the rest of the athletes: the status of heroes if they reach the finish line in time! To be ranked in the 2019 ranking of the BikingMan series, the finishers must complete a minimum of 2 BikingMan events during the season.
RULES OF THE RACE
All the rules and conditions of BikingMan Taiwan 2019 are listed in the race agreement, read it carefully (download here)
What is the time limit to complete the BikingMan Taiwan #2?
– 120 hours (five days). Your progression will be monitored with a GPS tracking system and you will receive a stamp from the organization at the manned checkpoints. Each checkpoint has a time limit that will be shown on the survival map to ensure you finish the course in 120h.
Is there a minimum distance to ride every day?
– Yes, it will be required to ride 230 kms every day not to be disqualified from the race.
Are support cars allowed?
– No. You can not have a car or other support vehicle following you. This is an unsupported bicycle race where you have to manage your food, water and accommodation. The survival map provided by the organization will help you to find places where you can refuel and sleep at night. It will also show the elevation profile of the fixed route. The strategy plays a big role in the race because you can’t rely on a support car. If you have family or friends who would like to help as volunteers during the race, please let us know by sending us an email at email@example.com
Is the road mandatory?
– Yes it is a fixed itinerary which must be followed from the start to the finish. Anyone who does not follow the itinerary will be disqualified.
Can I draft (ride behind another cyclist and benefit from the wind protection) of a competitor?
– No. You are not allowed to draft or ride in a pack. Only riders in pairs are allowed to ride together during the race.
Can I camp in Taiwan?
– It is possible to camp in Taiwan however we recommend not to camp in the wild on the island.
Do I need a medical certificate for the race?
– Yes, mentioning that you are physically fit to race 1150 kilometers on an multi-day unsupported ultra-cycling race. You can download a template here.
Do I need insurance?
– Yes, it is mandatory with repatriation option to your home country in case of accidents. Check the terms of your credit card or ask your local insurance company for advice. The BikingMan Facebook group can also help you with other athletes’ advice and past experience.
How do the checkpoints work?
– BikingMan Taiwan 2019 will have 3 control points, including a photo checkpoint. BikingMan volunteers will validate your time and stamp your survival map. You will be able to feed and rest.
For the photo checkpoint, each athlete will have to take a selfie with the dedicated app. Detailed instructions will be provided during the pre-race briefing.
Is there a list of mandatory equipment?
– Yes, a complete list of mandatory equipment is mentioned in the race agreement signed during your registration process. It is, for the most part, common-sense equipments for unsupported cycling (repairs, clothes, lights …) to ride in the safest possible conditions.
Do I need a GPS tracker?
– No, it is included in your registration and provided by the organization. If you have one, you can also use it (works only with SPOT GEN 3). If you bring your own SPOT GEN 3 tracker, you will be eligible for a 30 euros discount at check-in.
Do I need a specific bike?
– Check out our YouTube channel where we share tips on the best bike setup for the event. In Taiwan, the road being 100% paved, you can use either a TT-bike, a gravel, a cyclo-cross…whichever you prefer. We however recommend at least 25mm tires.