All the rules and conditions of the BikingMan CORSICA 2019 are listed in the race agreement, read it carefully (download here).
When is the BIKINGMAN Corsica?
– April 29th until May 3rd, 2019. The check-in of the athletes and their equipment will take place on the weekend of Saturday April 27th (9am to 6pm) until Sunday April 28th at noon (8am to 12pm) at the race village (Camping San Damiano * ***).
Where does the race start and finish?
– The start and finish of the race will be at the **** San Damiano camping near Bastia.
Is it asphalt or gravel?
– The route of the race is 100% paved, it is possible to come with a race bike, cyclo-cross, time trial bike. We recommend 25mm tires for comfort (such as Schwalbe Pro One type).
How can I sign up?
– Follow the link: click here .
How much does registration cost and what’s included?
– 299 euros until December 31st 2018 (tiers 1), 329 euros until February 15th 2019 (tiers 2) and 359 euros (tiers 3) until registration closes on March 15th 2019 if slots are available. Read the race page to see what is included in your registration.
Does the organization keep my personal belongings during the race?
– Yes, 1 x bike bag and 1 x personal bag (backpack) for every athlete is allowed BUT you will not have access to your personal belongings while you are racing. Do not ask us to carry your bags between checkpoints …
How can I travel to Corsica?
– You have direct flights to Bastia, from Paris, Lyon and Marseille with Air France, Corsair and Air Corsica. At the end of April, round trip flights from France cost less than 200 euros. It is also possible to fly to Nice (international airport with daily European flights) then take the Ferry with Corsica Ferries (1 ferry on Friday 27th and 1 ferry on Saturday 28th, April) for less than 100 euros the round trip with bike option.
BE CAREFUL, if you fly from Nice, we strongly recommend you to take the ferry option to Bastia rather than Nice / Bastia by plane. Nice / Bastia flights can carry only 2 bikes per plane while the ferry has unlimited capacity. For other destinations (Paris, Lyon, Marseille to Bastia), confirm well IN ADVANCE, that you travel with a bicycle to book the space for your bicycle. Airplanes have an average of 5 bicycle slots per flight at these departure airports.
How can I get to the race village?
– We offer an optional shuttle service from the airport or ferry to welcome you to Corsica and drive you to the race village where the departure and arrival of the BikingMan will take place. This service is charged 50 euros for the round trip to the race village.
I did not receive any confirmation emails after registration!
– After finalizing your inscription, you should have received an email from Active.com confirming your payment. If you didn’t, check your SPAM folder. In case of any doubts, get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help you.
Can I follow and learn more about the athletes who are preparing for the race?
– Join the Strava BikingMan club, connect to our Facebook , profile Instagram or our channel YouTube . If you need help preparing for your race, you can contact the BikingMan community on the Facebook group dedicated where veterans will help you.
Do I need a visa?
– Only for people coming from outside the Schengen zone and the European Union. If you come out of these zones, it is necessary to obtain a Schengen Tourism Visa: click here valid for 90 days
Where are the electronic checkpoints and manned checkpoints?
– The exact locations will be communicated to all athletes by the end of the year, Adventure guaranteed! It will be necessary to ride 140 kilometers each day to avoid being disqualified from the race.
Where can I see the recommended route of the race?
– By joining our Strava club , it’s free and you will be able to download GPX itinerary of the course when it will be published at the end of the year. The course will be very close to the 2018 edition (700km / 13 000m of elevation gain)
Are there categories?
– Yes: Woman, Man and Pair.
Can I cancel my registration?
– No. However, we offer transfer plans in the year to another BikingMan race of the same season, up to 90 days before the race, with a transfer fee of 80 euros. A last-minute transfer option (up to 15 days before the race) is available for 230 euros (see race agreeement).
Is there a prize to win?
– The glory and some gifts from our sponsors for the winners of each category. For the rest of the athletes: the status of heroes if they reach the finish line on time! To be ranked in the 2019 ranking of the BikingMan series, the finishers must complete a minimum of 2 BikingMan events on the season.
What are the finishers times of the previous edition?
– The results of each finisher of the 2018 edition can be checked here.
RULES OF RACE
All the rules and conditions of BikingMan CORSICA 2019 are listed in the race agreement, read it carefully (download here)
What is the time limit to complete the BikingMan Corsica?
– 120 hours (five days). Your progression will be monitored with a GPS tracking system and you will receive a stamp from the organization at the manned checkpoints. Each checkpoint has a time limit to ensure you finish the course in 120h.
Are support cars allowed?
– No. You can not have a car or other support vehicle following you. This is an unsupported bicycle race where you have to manage your food, water and accommodation. The survival map provided by the organization will help you to find places where you can refuel and sleep at night. It will also show the elevation profile of the fixed route. The strategy plays a big role in the race because you can’t on a support car. If you have family or friends who would like to help as volunteers during the race, please let us know by sending us an email on email@example.com
Is the road mandatory?
– Yes it is a fixed itinerary which must be followed from start to the finish. Anyone who does not follow the itinerary will be disqualified.
Can I draft (ride behind another cyclist and benefit from the wind protection) of a competitor?
– No. You are not allowed to draft or ride in a pack. Only riders in pairs are allowed to ride together during the race.
Can I camp in Corsica?
– Yes in the many campsites present on the island. You must respect the local, local fauna / flora. Any act of littering will ban you from the race.
Do I need a medical certificate for the race?
– Yes, mentioning that you are physically fit to race 700 kilometers on an multi-day unsupported ultra-cycling race. You can download a template here.
Do I need insurance?
– Yes, it is mandatory with repatriation option to your home country in case of accidents. Check the terms of your credit card or ask your local insurance company for advice. The Facebook group BikingMan can also help you with other veterans’ advice.
How do the checkpoints work?
– BikingMan Corsica 2019 will have 3 control points. BikingMan volunteers will validate your time and stamp your survival map. Meals and beverages will be available at BikingMan Corsica 2019 manned checkpoints.
Is there a list of mandatory equipment?
– Yes, a complete list of mandatory equipment is mentioned in the race agreement signed during your registration process. It is, for the most part, a common sense equipment for unsupported cycling (repairs, clothes, lights …) to ride in the safest conditions possible.
Do I need a GPS tracker?
– No, it is included in your registration and provided by the organization. If you have one, you can also use it (works only with SPOT GEN 3). If you bring your own SPOT GEN 3 tracker, you will be eligible for a 30 euros discount at check-in.
Do I need to bring a tent?
– No, it is not mandatory. You are allowed to bring one if you plan to camp every day.
Should I bring a mattress / sleeping bag / sleeping?
– It is not mandatory. We advise you to bring equipment if you plan to sleep in the wilderness. Ask for advice on Facebook group BikingMan if you want to camp. Veterans will be able to guide you on their strategies.
Do I need a specific bike?
– Check out our YouTube channel where we share tips on the best bike setup on the 2019 event. Last year, the athletes finished with gravel bikes, time trial…. Ask for advice on Facebook group BikingMan if you have any doubts. The road is 100% paved in Corsica, you can use a race bike, a time trial, a gravel, cyclo-cross … according to your strategy.