When is the race?
– 25th of February until 2nd of March 2018
It is paved or unpaved?
– The recommended route is 98% perfect asphalt. The only gravel segment can be checked on Strava (click here). The route planning between checkpoints and base camps are free for every racer to choose. Some nasty gravel roads can be tackled for the most adventurous racers
How can I sign up?
– Follow the link: click here
How much does it cost and what’s included?
– 499 euros including airport transfer and luggage management, accommodation before the race, SIM Card, GPS tracking system, tear proof survival map, base camps at 300 and 600 km, special race gifts, media cars
Does the organization keep my personal belongings during the race?
– Yes, your bike bag and 1 personal bag (backpack) for every racer is allowed
How can I travel to Oman?
– You have direct flights from Europe and Asia landing in Muscat, the capital of Oman. –
OmanAir, Qatar Airways, Emirates and British Airways are offering competitive prices during the February: under 500 euros return flights from Europe and Asia, under 200 euros from UAE and from 500 to 1000 euros from the US or Australia. If you live in the UAE, you can directly drive to Muscat
I didn’t receive any confirmation email after signing up!
– After finalizing your inscription you should have received an email from Active confirming your payment. If you didn’t, check your SPAM inbox. In case of any doubts, get in touch with us using the contact form and we’ll help you
Do I need a visa? and how much it cost?
– Yes. For most countries you can directly buy your visa when you land at the airport or at the border if you drive to Oman (check the country list click here). The cost is between 15 to 45 dollars depending on if you decide to stay less than 10 days or between 10 to 30 days
Where does the race start and finish?
– The race starts outside of Muscat (with car transfer included) and finishes in the old parts of Muscat
Where are the electronic checkpoints and base camps?
– Electronic checkpoint 1: next to Ibri, Base camp 1: Jebel Shams climb, Base camp 2: Bidiyah, Electronic checkpoint 2: Turtle Bay area
Where can I see the recommended route of the race?
– By joining our Strava Club, it is free and you can download the GPX file of the route
Are there different race categories?
– Yes: SOLO and PAIR
Can I cancel my inscription?
– No. You can use the BikingMAN pass (during registration) to be able to transfer your inscription to any other BikingMan race for the 2018 in case you can’t attend to BikingMan Oman 2018 race
Is there a prize to win?
– Yes, we have race partners that will bring great equipment for the first 3 finishers of the inaugural edition (bags, saddles and a bigger prize for the first!). For the rest of the racers: glory awaits them if they reach the finish line within the time limits!
What is the time limit to complete the ultra bikepacking race?
– 120 hours (five days). Your progression will be controlled with a GPS tracking system and you will have get a stamp from the organization at every checkpoint
Are support cars allowed?
– No. You can’t have a support car following you. It is a self-supported ultra bikepacking race where you need to manage your food, water and accommodations. The survival map given by the organization will help you to find places where you can fuel along the way and sleep during the night outside the BikingMan base camps. Strategy plays a big role in the race as you can’t rely on a support car
Can I draft (ride behind another cyclist and benefit from wind protection) off a competitor?
– No. You are not allowed to draft nor ride as a pack of riders. Only pair riders are allowed to draft each other’s during the race
Can I camp in Oman?
– Oman is the 4th safest country in the world. The Ministry of Tourism allows and encourages camping in the wilderness. You need to respect the neighborhood and local flora/fauna. Littering will get you scratched from the race
Do I need a medical certificate for the race?
– Yes, mentioning that you are fit and ready to ride a 1.000 kilometers ultra bikepacking race
Do I need an insurance?
– Yes, it is mandatory and must include a repatriation option to your home country in case of accidents
How the base camps work?
– BikingMan will build 2 manned basecamps at approx. 300 and 600 kilometers on the route where you can eat, drink, rest or sleep. You will find a tent to rest, however you need to carry your own mattress and sleeping/bivy bag
How the checkpoints work?
– Every racer will get a personal GPS tracker sending his/her position every 5 minutes. You will need to cycle across 2 specific locations that the organization is monitoring to get an electronic validation during the race
Are there any mandatory equipment?
– Yes, a complete list of the mandatory equipment is mentioned in the race agreement signed during the registration process. It is, for the most part, basic common equipment to cycle self-supported (repairs, clothing, lights…) in safe conditions
Do I need to buy a GPS tracker?
– No it is included in your inscription and provided by the organization
Do I need to bring a tent?
– No, it is not mandatory. You are allowed to bring one if you plan to camp every day
Do I need to bring a mattress/bivy bag / sleeping?
– Yes if you don’t like sleeping on rocky terrain. No if you want to race this the hard way
Do I need a specific bike?
– Check our YouTube channel where we shared advice on the best bike configuration